Favorite card

Favorite card

Post a picture of your favorite card and why it is your favorite.

I will dig mine out tomorrow and post.

Re: Favorite card

My favorite is a wrong back pair. This is a 1990 Score Wrong back pair of my 2 all time favorite players. This is an only known error card pair I got directly from Score back in the day. They have been my favorite cards from the second I got them till now. I can't imagine any card that could replace them as my favorite to own in my collection.

Besides being my favorite players they are on a red bordered card. I love red bordered cards and they look spectacular in the SGC slabs. I also have been collecting error cards since I started collecting. Then add in they are actually centered front and back when most wrong backs have a way off center back. This is one of those printing errors that turned out perfectly for me. :D

I am sure if I actually put them up for auction they wouldn't bring much. What I can guarantee is you could buy a nice condo on the ocean for less than I would sell them for.

So lets see some cards with stories on why they are your favorite.
    Attachments
    BCwbF.jpg
    BCwbB.jpg

Way back when I knew absolutely nothing about cards, my brother suggested we buy this one. I would say it’s still probably my favorite of cards I have shown.
    Attachments
    0485BE4F-3BA3-4B59-9631-64615B5EA17C.jpeg

That’s a spectacular 1914 CJ Jackson, congrats Curious.

CuriousGeorge wrote:
    Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:34 pm
    Way back when I knew absolutely nothing about cards, my brother suggested we buy this one. I would say it’s still probably my favorite of cards I have shown.
    Is is your first card?

I still have a few that I have had almost my entire life. My older cousin gave them to me when I was very young. Can't remember exactly when but it was before I started kindergarten. Mainly oddball stuff with a big hand full of 66 Topps.

Thanks Jeter.

When I was young my brother took all the good cards and they’re now sitting in his safe! I started collecting a few years ago and the JJ CJ was my 4th card after a 1952 Mantle PSA 5, a 1934 Gehrig Goudey SGC 7 (both recently sold) and a T206 Plank PSA 4 that I still have. He actually gave me some very good advice and nearly every card he told me to buy has appreciated nicely. It wasn’t until I started trying to figure it out myself that the mistakes started happening as I went off on tangents and tried to build sets, then changed my mind, started collecting certain players, then changing my mind again and so on. I think I finally have a good strategy so in the process of getting rid of cards that no longer fit my plan.

I thought the Wagner in your DP was going to be your favorite.

And as for me, I don't have one.

That one too. I can’t believe you don’t have a favorite? I thought everyone must have one.

CuriousGeorge wrote:
    Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:17 pm
    That one too.
    Show and tell! Show and tell! Show and tell!
    CuriousGeorge wrote:
    Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:17 pm
    I can’t believe you don’t have a favorite? I thought everyone must have one.
    I did pick up mid-grade rookies of Willie, Jackie and Mickey this year, but I wouldn't say that any of them are my favorites.

Being Canadian, hockey is my first love and I own quite a few nice hockey cards. I have focused a lot on the key vintage rookies from the 1950s, because from an investment perspective, I think they are the best. Again, no favorites here. I like them all.

My historic and all time favorite is T206 Cy Young w/ Glove (I had one as a kid, then it was the first card I reacquired when I started collecting after law school in 2000, and then it was again the first card I acquired when I got back into collecting in 2015). Its just so ugly and I loved my beater, raw (of course because it was 1988) T206 card of the great Cy Young

But I think this is my current favorite. Besides the fact that its gorgeous (the grade is purely because of the back-hinge residue), it marked the first real real big card I acquired. I had always wanted a Plank and had to work on my wife for months, and then this came along and I took the plunge and I love it.
    Attachments
    T206 Plank, SC 350-30 - Front.jpg
    T206 Plank, SC 350-30 - Front.jpg (84.55 KiB) Viewed 117 times
    T206 Plank, SC 350-30 - Back.jpg
    T206 Plank, SC 350-30 - Back.jpg (79.18 KiB) Viewed 117 times

Fantastic Plank - glad you were able to get your wife on board, and it would've been worth sleeping on the couch for a while anyways, in case you had to do it behind her back!

Definitely the 52 Mantle. When collecting as a kid it seemed so far out of reach I thought I'd never own one. If I ever had to sell of my collection it would be the last card to go.
    Attachments
    20200427_141305.jpg

N300 CAP ANSON
    Attachments
    n300anson.jpg