Everyday life in NYC in 1911

Re: Everyday life in NYC in 1911

I've watched this 10 times. Is there any doubt that civilization has gone downhill the past 109 years?

Ferry off-loading - huge stylish hats/prim dresses/umbrellas - straw hats/high collars - trolleys/horse&wagons - chauffeur driven motors cars - shoe shiners under umbrellas - the el - every day NYC people.

What happened? Immigration, drugs, crime....??

By 1911, millions of immigrants had already crossed into America via Ellis Island, so it wasn’t that. I think the people who came to America back then wanted to be Americans, wanted to assimilate. Nowadays I don’t believe immigrants necessarily feel the same for America.

1911 - Immigrants came to work - No Social Security, No Welfare, No Food Stamps.

When I click on who is online a very few names appear and they are within a minute or so of each other. ??

I'm in a dungeon here. No traffic, no mail, no posts, I am thinking of moving to the WWII high rent district. The early run of top cards posters are spent. Now up are the general hobby problems.

I think the “who is online” function shows the last time a person was on over the preceding five minutes. So the times will always be close.

And there are plenty of great cards left that haven’t been posted. We’re just trying to pace things :)

I don't see any value in showing this information. Showing everyone who is online at that time is much more useful.

What a cool video. Neat Tip Top Bread ad on the back of the motor car at 3:10.