Civil War Soldier’s Discharge Papers

Civil War Soldier’s Discharge Papers

A random choice of two Civil War Soldier’s Discharge Papers – one an enlisted man the other an officer.

1 a & b Volunteer Enlistment: One Year
    William Rumbolz Alton, IL. Feb. 16, 1862 Age: 24 Painter
    Reenlisted 1st Reg't Missouri Cav. Discharged Sept 17, 1864.

2 a, b & c
    Pay Voucher $274
    Charles Weihl Lieutenant & Adjutant 8th Reg't. NY Volunteer
    Served: May 1, 1862 - June 30, 1862
    Wounded June 7, 1862 Surgical Treatment
    1. Personal Servant: John Mayer
    2. 2 Horses
    Attachments
    1a.jpg
    1b.jpg
    1c.jpg
    2a.jpg
    2b.jpg

Re: Civil War Soldier’s Discharge Papers

Very cool stuff and in great shape. I’ve been looking for a civil war diary to pick up. Heritage has had a good collection in its auctions.

I had a Civil War diary. It disappeared at about 50 years ago and I still miss it. The young Irish Yankee soldier, David Hyde, author of my sole copy had been writing from the battlefield that I suspect was somewhere in Virginia. I recall his explanation of the damage and pain of war, but he also introduced me to an unexpected event that took place on evenings when the guns were quiet. The two armies were out of sight of each but close enough on the battlefield to hear each other speak and be heard during the after-hours. They would exchange newspapers on occasion. Then back to combat.
    David's home was in Poughkeesie, NY where his father owned a clothing store. However, David's letters were mailed to his favorite (female) cousin. His personality came through well composed letters and with a tinge of humor throughout.
    My reading a Civil War diary is fun knowing its non-fiction source and it's unusual but the after-effect of not knowing the fate of the boy is its downside.
    My daughter's grade school teacher, at long past, read a portion of the letters to her class that created a lively interest at the time. She projected a portion of them on the classroom wall for show.

Sorry for missing this. What happened to the diary? How did you get your hands on it in the first place? I agree that the first hand accounts are the best ones. Without any political spin, just what the person saw. I have read a number of them over the years regarding the Battle of the Little Big Horn and even the Lincoln assassination:

We Saw Lincoln Shot https://www.amazon.com/dp/087805779X/re ... XEbDVY4902

I thought I answered this already - I probably didn't press submit. A dealer at my coin club offered to sell a collection of Civil War letters. I bought some of them. This was about 1970. Somehow I lost them.

Have you retired? You seem to have extra time.

I had to put my Rube Waddell on here for comment. Never has there been such a talent and never possible again.

jerrys wrote:
    Fri May 22, 2020 12:40 pm
    I thought I answered this already - I probably didn't press submit. A dealer at my coin club offered to sell a collection of Civil War letters. I bought some of them. This was about 1970. Somehow I lost them.

Have you retired? You seem to have extra time.

I had to put my Rube Waddell on here for comment. Never has there been such a talent and never possible again.
    That’s 50 years ago! I guess that diary isn’t coming back. Reading the Waddell article and I agree, a fascinating player for sure.

I haven’t retired yet - don’t you know that us baseball card forum owners are all unemployed and unemployable? ;)

Thanks for clearing up a doubt.