2 Texas Tommy coming to auction

2 Texas Tommy coming to auction

Joe Jackson 1 of 2 copies and Ty Cobb only one. Not the nicest looking cards but I imagine there will be lots of interest.
    Attachments
    C24584A9-55B8-41C8-92B3-0A479E06ED92.jpeg
    2E54249B-5F0C-4F21-9E5B-43F17DDF01F9.jpeg

Re: 2 Texas Tommy coming to auction

CuriousGeorge wrote:
    Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:22 pm
    Not the nicest looking cards but I imagine there will be lots of interest.

To put it mildly. Spectacular pieces.

The one concern I’d have is that when these get big prices another few raw examples may find their way into slabs.

So any guesses on what these sell for?

One of my favorite Naps.
    Attachments
    texas-tommy.jpg
    It's always time for a Nap!

Nice card Rob! I actually think they have character not that I’ve seen too many.

CuriousGeorge wrote:
    Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:22 pm
    Joe Jackson 1 of 2 copies and Ty Cobb only one. Not the nicest looking cards but I imagine there will be lots of interest.

Who will auction these cards ? What company ?

Thanks
    Connor

Don't. remembers how we did it but we have 48 of the 52 images on VCP

https://vintagecardprices.com/set/baseb ... -type-1/82
    Attachments
    Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 5.26.43 AM.png

CuriousGeorge wrote:
    Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:07 am
    SCP
    Thanks for letting me know!

wow those are big cards! Don't see them too often

Images probably came from the Old Cardboard article reviewing the set. I believe it was written by John Esch

Can we assume there’s a raw almost-complete set in existence due to these images?

Calvindog wrote:
    Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:41 pm
    Can we assume there’s a raw almost-complete set in existence due to these images?
    Jeff,

Going off the subject here but I checked your Flicker and saw your Zep collection. Growing up
    that was my band. Matter of fact I believe I went to their last concert in LA at the Forum. Sat 3rd row
    center, I paid $125 for the ticket and people thought I was nuts. Best concert ever....think I was about 14 years old

I’ve got a lot more to add to that album. A lot of personal items — including Jimmy’s skate keys to his roller skates he had as a kid and used to tune his guitar as he got older. :)

Finds and cards like these Texas Tommy Shoeless and Cobb are to me one of the great things about the hobby. It tickles the mind to think how time devoured and vanished all the others made, and how a special few somehow managed to survive up to this day. Congrats to whoever winds up adding those to their collection.

I love it...The "Yatzee" find!!!!! I love yatzee!!!!! And to find an original candy collection!!!! Super cool!!!!

MattyC wrote:
    Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:24 am
    Finds and cards like these Texas Tommy Shoeless and Cobb are to me one of the great things about the hobby. It tickles the mind to think how time devoured and vanished all the others made, and how a special few somehow managed to survive up to this day. Congrats to whoever winds up adding those to their collection.
    You mean you like these type of finds and real
    rarity to the manufactured rarity of today’s cards? Wouldn’t everyone rather have a mike trout, made two months ago, that is a 1 of 1 bc even though it looks like all the others, this one had swirly orange circles, green stripes and it says 1 of 1 (not to be confused with the one with Orange circles and green stripes that says 1 of 5)...

This is a very cool find, and I agree the name is super appropriate. However, as a collector of rare cards, these funds scare me bc that 1 of 1 I paid a ton for can all the sudden become non-unique.

This whole Trout, Lebron, modern card situation is pretty unbelievable. PSA and SGC are getting inundated with these cards at volumes they have never seen before. The prices at auctions are just incredible when Trout rookies are selling at Wagner prices. And reading other chat boards many of these younger collectors would much prefer the modern stuff over Ruth, Cobb and Wagner.

Not sure where this will leave things 10-20 years down the road. Is the market for the vintage stuff going to slowly pass away with less new collectors to fill the void? Will there only be a robust market for the bluest of blue chips of vintage because of less collectors or can we always feel comfortable that even the second and third tier and commons of of the late 1800’s and early 1900’s will always be in demand?

I agree, though I was trying to be careful to choose my wording in my prior post above, because I definitely did not want to knock modern stuff for those who enjoy it. Indeed I like for example Topps Heritage, and finding rarer variations of the few modern players I collect— even if those rarities are manufactured. The TPGs are manufacturing rarities as well, it's worth noting, with grades and pop reports.

That said, I would personally much prefer a rarity such as a Texas Tommy Shoeless or a Headin' Home Ruth over a Mike Trout colored refractor, but that is just me and to each his own. Despite the extremely high figure "sales" (alleged sales) of some modern cards, I do suspect because of the (earned) reputations of some of the key players in that world, that lots of those sales are manipulated or outright fake. (Not that players in the vintage space are all angels, by any stretch.) Just my opinion, but I put way more stock in sale of a card like these Texas Tommies, just due to the type of hypothetical buyer/collector of such pieces. Though I do buy some modern and collect a few modern players— and this is a generalization, borne mainly of the toxic cyber cesspool that is Blowout— I've found the modern market is rife with quick buck hucksters who are only interested in cards insofar as they can be flipped, then onto the next thing. I'm not seeing many collectors at all in that space, but rather people looking to buy and then sell for a profit. It's more akin to gambling really, from what I've gleaned. Maybe more of a cross between the rush of gambling and playing at being a mini Gordon Gekko, LOL. But again that's a generalization, as my own modern collecting does prove there are exceptions.

I love these kinds of Yahtzee finds, and I think going into any rare card be it a Cobb back red portrait or a Fred Foto Babe or a Texas Tommy Cobb or Shoeless, one has to manage expectations by assuming a few more could surface over the years. I don't think such additional examples would really dampen price let alone pleasure of ownership, as the demand will surely outstrip supply even if say 5 more of such cards suddenly came to light.

I like the layout on the Joe Jackson card.It's weird how it is so different than the others from the same set.

Old Cardboard Issue #7 (Spring 2006) had a nice article on the E224 sets, including scans of all 51 (at the time) known Type 1 cards and 14 of the known Type 2 cards.

Here's my WaJo.

Also, here's the Texas Tommy dance that was popular at the same time as the candy was produced.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lTAQ5_KFpbQ

Steve
    Attachments
    Texas Tommy Walter Johnson.jpg

Did these auctions start yet?

Thanks I will check it out. I don't think I've ever even registered at SCP, but I probably should.

Rhotch wrote:
    Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:57 pm
    MattyC wrote:
    Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:24 am
    You mean you like these type of finds and real
    rarity to the manufactured rarity of today’s cards? Wouldn’t everyone rather have a mike trout, made two months ago, that is a 1 of 1 bc even though it looks like all the others, this one had swirly orange circles, green stripes and it says 1 of 1 (not to be confused with the one with Orange circles and green stripes that says 1 of 5)...

This is a very cool find, and I agree the name is super appropriate. However, as a collector of rare cards, these funds scare me bc that 1 of 1 I paid a ton for can all the sudden become non-unique.
    Shhhhh! Next thing ya know it will be chopped up and "found" in a target blaster