Top 5 Upside Vintage Cards

Top 5 Upside Vintage Cards

What do you people think are the top 5 vintage cards/postcards with best upside in next 5-10 years?

51B Mantle always gets mentioned but it hasn’t taken off as much as predicted. Still
    think it’s one of the top 5.

51B Mays might have more upside.

Re: Top 5 Upside Vintage Cards

I would ask this on the main board, not the "everything else" BST section

Aaron and Clemente rookies seem like decent buys with what prices have been doing in other eras. So do any 51-53 Mantles.

There are a few e Cobbs and Wagners I think will do well long term. Hard to say for sure though. I just try to buy what I enjoy owning and seem to come out ahead on most in the long run.

Most upside: Anything I want that I don’t have
    Most downside: Anything I have that I don’t want

I feel pitchers in general are undervalued compared to hitters. In the T206 era, while Wajo, Matty, and Young (and Plank besides T206) are no doubt expensive, they don't compare to anywhere to Cobb, Wagner and Jackson. Also, I feel like the likes of Lajoie and Speaker have risen to near the same cost/value as the aforementioned pitchers.

I have not collected the younger cards of the 1950's-1960s for years, but aside from the Leaf Paige and Koufax rookie, I believe the same can be said of Feller, Spahn, Whitey Ford, Bob Lemon, Early Wynn, Robin Roberts.

But I think this has always been the case and unless there is major shift in the way the hobby views pitchers vs hitters than I imagine it will stay that way.

As far as the question asked, I will answer with what I know - pre WWII and post 1900. I think all postcards are undervalued as well as 1920’s exhibits, especially Ruth and Gehrig (these are the earliest Gehrig’s). I think pre-rookies are undervalued, like DiMaggio PCL, but there are not many (BN Ruth!), I think cabinets are undervalued, and I think all early non-major league issues (except t206), and especially Zeenut, are undervalued. Basically, things that are not “cards” per se, or not major league cards.

I think W600 HOFs are still extremely undervalued considering their coupled rarity and some of the iconic players included in this amazing set. The TRUE ROOKIE cards for 3 of the 5 Hall of Fame Charter Members are in this set including Wagner (1902 Type 1 - only 3 documented examples); Cobb (1907 Type 4 - 6/7 known examples); and Mathewson (January 1903 Type 2 - 6/7 known examples). While prices have certainly escalated in the past several years, I strongly feel there still remains a significant upside for these seldom surfacing cabinet cards. Simply stated, they have it all - Extreme rarity, imposing central images (many of which representing Carl Horner’s immortal portrait poses), and the true rookie cards for many Cooperstown Inductees including the aforementioned “Big 3”.

Joe T, you should start a baseball card investment fund. Raise a bunch of money and manage the buying and selling. I’m actually surprised no one has done it yet or perhaps they have and I don’t know about it.

Here’s one of the Wagners.
    Attachments
    F80D6B53-7F4E-4A3E-BEFC-DA248F821E3A.jpeg

oldjudge wrote:
    Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:13 am
    Most upside: Anything I want that I don’t have
    Most downside: Anything I have that I don’t want
    LOL You read my mind, Jay.

The way the Leaf Jackie has been climbing, I think in the next five to ten years it will end up on the same level as the 52' Topps Mantle. We're going to be seeing PSA 2 examples going for $15,000 USD and PSA 3 examples will fetch over $20,000 USD.

The 51' Bowman Mantle definitely belongs on the list. The baby-boomers worshiped him and they passed their "Mantle love" down to their kids. So, we're going to be keeping this card hot for a long time.

The 51' Bowman Mays does not belong in the top-five, in my opinion There are too many problems with him. First of all, he has received tons of criticism for staying quiet on racial issues. When people in his hometown were getting hosed down, he stayed quiet. When the civil rights movement began rolling, he stayed quiet. When people asked him about it, he yelled at them. Oh, and that leads me to the second thing: too many people have had crappy experiences with him. If you go on any forum and type in "Willie Mays," you'll be surprised to see how many people he has pissed off. Add to that one fucking championship. Now again, I didn't say this card isn't going to go up. I just think it doesn't belong that high up on the list.

The 54' Topps Aaron belongs on the list, for sure. Now I know that this card wasn't a short-printed high number or anything like that. In other words, there are quite a few of them out there. However, if you can pick up examples with good centering and strong corners, then you should be good.

CuriousGeorge wrote:
    Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:22 pm
    Joe T, you should start a baseball card investment fund. Raise a bunch of money and manage the buying and selling. I’m actually surprised no one has done it yet or perhaps they have and I don’t know about it.

Best of the Best Steve!!!! There are no words, and I know exactly where the other two examples rest (hello Ryan....LOL!!!!). The 3rd one I cannot divulge. .Whoever bought the PSA 2 Cobb in REA got a great deal at $300K. I thought it should go $400K++.

CuriousGeorge wrote:
    Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:22 pm

Regarding the 1903 Type 2 Street Clothes Matty’s, they are near-impossible to find. The SGC 5, my PSA 4 and the SGC 3 are all buried in private collections and are going nowhere for a long time. There is also an incredible “raw” example that, from my understanding, is in the original glassine envelope and would grade a 6 or better!!! Likewise buried in an elite collection. The rarity of the Cobb Type 4, Matty Type 2 & Wagner Type 1 true rookie W600 cabinets cannot be underestimated with huge growth potential for all 3 subjects.

Whitehead and Hoag pins(Cameo Pepsin and On Time Starch)-only major issue from the 1890s with first image of many HOFers. They are also incredibly rare.

Mays 51 and 52.

Yes, hes been a gruff kind of guy over the years, but he will be gone soon, and when he sails off to the big field in the sky there will be a gizillion articles written how he may have been the greatest 5 tool player in baseball history. The 51 and 52 are very attractive cards (both plagued with condition issues), and they will run up big time.

Nice pins OldJudge. And I agree about Mays. He has been very under appreciated.

I think the four Goudey Ruths, especially low to mid grade, still have a ton of upside. These four cards have already surged in price the past few years and I don't see that trend arrested.

It seems every BST section displays robust demand for these cards-- many a baseball card collector wants a Ruth in his collection, and the four Goudeys are the "go to" classic icons, colorful, attractive, the right supply to circulate and foster broad popularity.

As awe-inspiring as they are, most guys have never heard of a Balt News or a Collins McCarthy or an M101-6 or a Frederick Foto. Far fewer can afford those cards. And a far smaller number than that even come up for sale. Hence the popular demand trends to the Goudeys.

I also think the 51B Mick will continue to appreciate at a healthy clip. Such a "must have" "101" card for so many collectors.

The 4 Goudey Ruths have price points for everyone so I have to agree with you there. A great way to own a great looking Ruth at a price nearly all can afford.