The highest public price ever paid for a card?

The highest public price ever paid for a card?

I’m told it can likely be this one on the way in Goldin’s next auction. Mike Trout 1/1 or Honus Wagner? Lebron James rookie or Baltimore News Ruth? Seems pretty obvious to me but I’m the guy with nothing better to do than post this in the middle of the day so what do I know?
    Attachments
    2FB9B804-1120-4148-A6DF-6ABC0B8D35BE.jpeg

Re: The highest public price ever paid for a card?

IMHO, the greatest card in the hobby is the Baltimore News Ruth. The next one to hit the auction block will break all records.

This LJ just sold for 1.845 Mil and looks like there are 23 cards produced...
    109830350_10157950811863929_1228133867047513999_o.jpg

oldjudge wrote:
    Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:05 pm
    IMHO, the greatest card in the hobby is the Baltimore News Ruth. The next one to hit the auction block will break all records.
    Agreed. If I had the resources, that's the card that woul be #1 on my list.

Having said that, I still think this Trout would top it in terms of $. Maybe the 23/23 LeBron Exquisite or the 12/99 Brady Championship Contenders as well.
    Last edited by Arazi4442 on Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just imagine if it was scarce

So just out of curiosity what do you think a Balt News 2 is worth? The Trout could go over 3M I hear.

oldjudge wrote:
    Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:50 pm
    Just imagine if it was scarce
    This is total madness.

Re the Baltimore News Ruth, I have no idea what a 2 would trade for, but I bet it’s less than I would guess. I thought the w600 Cobb would sell for much more than it sold for, and I think that is a comparable card. Even if the Balt Ruth beats the Cobb, is it worth x3? If so, the Ruth is barely over $1mm.

I still think t206 Wagner is king of the pre war, with Balt. Ruth a legit second.

But the prices on these new cards are fucking nuts! Beyond crazy. I am very glad I have no interest in collecting modern cards. But as I have said before- what’s good for cards is good for cards, so I don’t mind when these things go off for $1.8mm. I don’t mind it, but I don’t understand it

If you can believe, a Balt News Ruth 2 sells for much more than a Wagner 2.

BN Ruth is the greatest piece of cardboard ever produced IMO. Rarity, minor league rookie, and its Ruth. Only thing it lacks is popularity among the masses, because most don’t know it exist.
    10 copies compared to roughly 60 Wagners make it a no brainer for me. Wagner was a great player but he’s not Babe Ruth..

I think a BN Ruth would sell for $2 MM, minimum. With all due respect to Cobb, he is nowhere near as popular as Ruth and he has several possible earliest cards.

oldjudge wrote:
    Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:58 am
    I think a BN Ruth would sell for $2 MM, minimum. With all due respect to Cobb, he is nowhere near as popular as Ruth and he has several possible earliest cards.
    I agree.

I stand corrected. I fully agree that Ruth beats both Cobb and Wagner as a player and in lore, etc. Babe Ruth beats everyone, hands down. Perhaps the BN Ruth 2 is more expensive than a Wagner 2, but just as Ruth (the player) transcends the sport, the t206 Wagner (the card) transcends cards. And I figured Conor’s points about it being less known, a pre-rookie, and an odd size (not a card), would limit the bidders to us old-time card collectors (not the nut balls dropping $1.8mm on Lebron James cards) - as with the w600 Cobb - and keep the price down.

Regardless, I agree with everyone that it’s beast, it will be VERY expensive, and I would love to own one someday

And I also agree with you that while a similarly graded BN Ruth sells for more than a Wagner, the Wagner is by far the more in demand card as 99% of the world has no idea what a BN Ruth is.

There is a lot of new money in the hobby right now with very deep pockets...but their collecting interests are only for the
    new and shiny cards, primarily basketball. They have no interest in the old stuff as of yet. So I think the crazy prices we see
    for these modern cards does not translate to what most of the people here collect.

BobbyVCP wrote:
    Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:54 pm
    There is a lot of new money in the hobby right now with very deep pockets...but their collecting interests are only for the
    new and shiny cards, primarily basketball. They have no interest in the old stuff as of yet. So I think the crazy prices we see
    for these modern cards does not translate to what most of the people here collect.
    Unfortunately, I completely agree. What these new collectors want from the hobby does not intersect with the satisfaction and reverence for history that we share here.

Manufactured rarity and actual scarcity are two completely different things. And the people bidding up this contrived modern stuff would probably topple a public statue of Ty Cobb, if one existed. Heck, they might even burn his cards in effigy, if given the chance.

I think it is 1000% natural for new "collectors" to go for Modern, and modern players of the sport of their choice. That is what they connect to. When I first started collecting it was all about Topps, Fleer, and Donruss and I collected football (a sport I like much more than baseball), as enthusiastically as I collected baseball cards. I think the cards we (here) collect are for old soles and seasoned collectors, and I think as some new collectors' tastes mature, they may start to play in the Vintage sandbox -- first its the Mantles and Robinsons and later the Ruths and the Cobbs. I think that is the natural progression (and once you get to the Ruths and Cobbs, and Cullivan Fireside and E104-2 Nadjas, you are dead meat - a full card addict).

One steroid scandal for any of these modern players selling at astronomical prices and I imagine it will quickly chill the market.

I have had a few of the dealers that buy from me regularly that have told me they have started getting heavier into the modern cards.

Damn Ryan, I had not seen the Firesides mentioned in a while. Have you been able to pick many up?

Lee

Hi Lee. No, I don’t own any, but I would like to, especially a few HOFers. I just tried to go deep, and in the moment, that was my depth!

It's always about the stories, man. What makes someone want to spend a ton of money on a Basquiat painting or an Action Comics #1 or a T206 Wagner? Again, the stories! These buyers want to spend weeks blabbering about their purchases (in front of their poor friends :lol: )

With the above being said, the T206 Wagner is THE CARD! You could spend months talking about it, such as how it was the first card that PSA graded, Mastro scandal, Gretzky and other celebrities who have owned one, why this card was short-printed, the hundreds of articles written by collectors and members of the media, the books, etc.

The Balimore News Babe Ruth is awesome, but doesn't come close at the moment. However, this could always change five - ten years from now. Look at the Leaf Jackie Robinson; nobody gave a fuck about it for a long time and now it's ... wwoooooooooooooooo!!! :lol:

By the way, it would be so cool if Rhotch and Curious could put their Wagners on display side-by-side at the Toronto Expo.

Rhotch wrote:
    Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:22 pm
    I think it is 1000% natural for new "collectors" to go for Modern, and modern players of the sport of their choice. That is what they connect to. When I first started collecting it was all about Topps, Fleer, and Donruss and I collected football (a sport I like much more than baseball), as enthusiastically as I collected baseball cards. I think the cards we (here) collect are for old soles and seasoned collectors, and I think as some new collectors' tastes mature, they may start to play in the Vintage sandbox -- first its the Mantles and Robinsons and later the Ruths and the Cobbs. I think that is the natural progression (and once you get to the Ruths and Cobbs, and Cullivan Fireside and E104-2 Nadjas, you are dead meat - a full card addict).

Good point. I think certain guys like yourself get the big picture history with the older cards, and gravitate towards something important/has history. For me I started out on 80’s Topps sets,
    but even at the beginning wanted to know more about dads only semi old card “1968 Topps- Mantle, Kilabrew, Mays “superstar” card. . That card started it all for me,
    and as I advanced the older I went,
    all the way into 19th century, one of, if not my favorite era’s to collect.

I agree also with Steve about the vintage having more stability, and the new crap could have more volatility.

samosa4u wrote:
    Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:14 am
    It's always about the stories, man. What makes someone want to spend a ton of money on a Basquiat painting or an Action Comics #1 or a T206 Wagner? Again, the stories! These buyers want to spend weeks blabbering about their purchases (in front of their poor friends :lol: )

With the above being said, the T206 Wagner is THE CARD! You could spend months talking about it, such as how it was the first card that PSA graded, Mastro scandal, Gretzky and other celebrities who have owned one, why this card was short-printed, the hundreds of articles written by collectors and members of the media, the books, etc.

The Balimore News Babe Ruth is awesome, but doesn't come close at the moment. However, this could always change five - ten years from now. Look at the Leaf Jackie Robinson; nobody gave a fuck about it for a long time and now it's ... wwoooooooooooooooo!!! :lol:

By the way, it would be so cool if Rhotch and Curious could put their Wagners on display side-by-side at the Toronto Expo.
    It is about the story. What’s Honus Wagner’s story? He was a great player, probably the greatest shortstop ever, but the average guy on the street couldn’t tell you jack about him. Most people wouldn’t even know who he was. How about Babe Ruth? Everyone knows who he was. Wagner was a great player, Ruth changed the game. The card value argument is almost moot. There are nine or ten copies of the BN Ruth. Of these, one is in the Babe Ruth Museum and seven of the others are in collections that they are never coming out of (at least not during the collectors lifetimes). That doesn’t leave much of an opportunity to pick one up, regardless of the price. The Wagner is a great card, but if you are willing to write the check there is one for you.

Couple other Wagners. Probably a good time for anyone else who's hiding one to put it up here.

Jay, how the hell do you not have a scanner? Even I just learned to scan a card. Those backs are nuts!

Just to add: some of Jay's backs are so rare they're nearly impossible to find in a common; Jay has them in Wagner.

Don't have a computer and as far as I know you can't link a scanner to an iPad or iPhone.

jesus Jay!!!!!! Amazing wagners...ryan! My one and only these days...e90-1.
    Attachments
    12254a_med.jpg
    12254a_med.jpg (191.29 KiB) Viewed 333 times

Jay, now I know why all the cards I want I can’t seem to find. :o

oldjudge wrote:
    Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:18 pm
    Don't have a computer and as far as I know you can't link a scanner to an iPad or iPhone.
    You’re lucky. Very.

Thanks guys-I love Wagner, just am realistic about him relative to Ruth.

oldjudge wrote:
    Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:51 pm
    Thanks guys-I love Wagner, just am realistic about him relative to Ruth.
    Agree. It's really Ruth first, Cobb second and the occasional Jackson card up there as well. And one Wagner. Everyone else is below, usually far below.

Don’t be dissing JJ. Seems a little more than occasional:

T210
    Boston Garter
    Texas Tommy
    Cracker Jacks
    E90-1

Let’s see top 5 Cobb compared to those. Cobb has more quality over 15-20 but not so sure about top 5. And don’t even think about adding those PC’s you like so much.

I think Ruth is first by a huge margin. After that, and I’m not sure why, Jackson may be slightly ahead of Cobb. At worst, they are probably even. After that there is another gap and then Wagner.

oldjudge wrote:
    Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:18 pm
    :D Jay my friend, you were holding out on me with the Wags back run. The mall Theatre is an all time M101 heavyweight.

Wagner is my best back run, but I have a decent Lajoie also.

oldjudge wrote:
    Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:05 pm
    I think Ruth is first by a huge margin. After that, and I’m not sure why, Jackson may be slightly ahead of Cobb. At worst, they are probably even. After that there is another gap and then Wagner.
    Cobb has hundreds of cards to a fraction for Jackson. If you total up Cobb sales vs. Jackson year by year it's not even close. Yes, there's a handful of expensive Jacksons but very few have any population. CJ and E90-1?

If there are a lot more Cobb cards, what sense does it make to look at aggregate sales? If you look at average sales price you will get a better picture and there Jackson will come out ahead (probably). Not saying that method isn’t flawed too, but it is certainly better than aggregate sales. Mine was just an observation; I like Cobb better.

Less cards, not as collectible. Of the few Jackson’s they are valuable most have very low pops. It’s a handful of cards that can realistically be collected. Because of that I don’t see Jackson as a player who can be included in such a list. If there was just the Wagner T206 and nothing more for him would Wagner be on such a list of most valuable players to be collected?

I’d say that’s very fair. Looks like Jackson quantity only has:

T210 - 16
    Boston Garter - 3
    Texas Tommy - 2
    1914 & 1915 CJ - plenty
    E90-1 - plenty

The lesser cards have more but hard to be collectible with these low quantities. Not being in T206 changes the equation for him.

Don't forget M101-4/5 and M101-6 for Jackson

Wagner is actually relatively scarce too bc (1) much if his career predated 1909, when a bunch of card issues first came out (you have w600 (not a card) and e107), and (2) he is only on two T issues - t206 and t216, so there is a whole group of cards without wagner. Regarding this first point, I think Cy Young suffers from the same issue - most of his career occurred before cards exploded onto the scene in 1908-09.

I think what is instructive is that in sets where you have two or more of Ruth, Cobb, Jackson and Wagner - these are always the most expensive cards in the set (save the 1914 Matty). However, (disregarding the rare backs), Ruth is always most expensive, then Jackson, then Cobb, then Wagner. Then everyone else (Wajo, Matty, Plank, Speaker, Lajoie etc)

And on that note....
    Attachments
    8DAA1C6E-D89B-41FE-88DB-E0D35EB328EE.jpeg

Yes, plenty of M101-4/5 and also Collins McCarthy and Boston Store as well. Heritage has a Boston Store coming up that I’m keeping an eye on. I have not seen a M101-6 Jackson and I think there might only be one out there? There’s Ruth’s around but not too many. Why are the prices not higher for those?
    oldjudge wrote:
    Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:23 am
    Don't forget M101-4/5 and M101-6 for Jackson